Tuesday, March 27, 2007

the attack on the airbase

initially i was really not that worried about the attack on the airbase when i heard about it. however as the facts emerge i get more and more concerned - not to a state of panic but a general sense of unease.

My laissez-faire attitude stemmed from the fact that I was told that they had used micro-lights to penetrate the airspace of Katunayake. This made sense as they can fly fairly low (below radar) and I suspected that they would have taken off from a beach not too far away. Micro-lights are very maneuverable and can be bought for about USD 5000. They are also easily transportable and cold be assembled and de-assembled quickly. So the fact that the military of the GOSL did not find it was not that worrying, nor that it was nto detected by the radar or the control tower.

My current concerns stem from the fact that they were not micro-lights but Pilatus aircraft (as reported by the daily Mirror 27 March 2007). The ltte seem to know their aircraft. They did not go for dinky little cessnas or pipers but a Pilatus. Pilatus makes trainers for airforces and stunt aircraft. These are incredible maneuverable and relatively hardy. My old boss in Switzerland was planning on buying one and he knew his aircraft. Other than the planes themselves I have the following other concerns:

  • How did they beat the radar?
  • Where did they get the fuel from?
  • Why did none of the Migs/Kfirs/ helicopters not go chasing after them?
  • Who the hell was watching the screens?
  • What was the tower doing?
  • How could they fly over the tarmac for 3 minutes without getting shot down? There are anti-aircraft guns all around temple trees – surely the airforce must have a few?
  • Whose head is going to role for this debacle?

Sometime I wish I had continued with Aerospace engineering …and sometime I wish people would just get a clue.

Well hope to get some answers some time I guess…

No comments: